Physical Exam/Health Appraisal/Sport Physical

    NYS Education Law requires a physical examination for new entrants and students in Pre-K or K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 & 11.  A sport physical is also required in grades 7 through 12 for those who wish to try out for the sports program.  It is preferred that a physical be completed by the student's own health care provider, who is familiar with his/her history, and can immediately advise you regarding any health condition.  Please click below for the NYS School Health Examination Form. A completed examination form will be valid for one year.  Please note that the printable form meets the NYS requirement for BMI (body mass index) and participation in the sports program.  What is BMI?


    New York State Public Health Law, Section 2164, mandates that a school shall not permit a child to attend school unless the parent provides the school with proof of the required immunizations.  Please click below for the current NYS Immunization Requirements for School Entrance/Attendance.


    Every effort should be made to administer medications at home, as it does represent a disruption in a student’s school day.  However, if your doctor feels that medication is necessary during the school day then the following information is required.

    A written order from your doctor must be on file, in the health office, before any medication can be administered (this includes over-the-counter medication, OTC).  Parent/guardian signature is also required to be on file in the health office.  Students are not allowed to carry medication or take medication without supervision unless the doctor and parent have indicated that the student is able to self-medicate.

    Prescription medication must be in a properly labeled pharmacy container.  OTC medication must be in the original, unopened container with the student’s name written on it.  Parents should ask their pharmacist for an additional container to be used for medication administration at school.

    Please note that the physical form also has a section for medication administration.  Please click below for the medication authorization form.


    Medication Authorization Form

    Medication for Your Child on a Field Trip

    It is recommended that the school nurse or the parent/guardian administer medication to their child on field trips, but there are instances when a school nurse or parent/guardian is not available to do so.  Under such circumstances, the parent/guardian may authorize another adult, such as a family member, household member or friend, to do so.  Written authorization is required; click below for the authorization form.  Please complete this form and return to your child’s teacher or the school nurse prior to the field trip.

    Health Screenings

    The district’s School Health Services program supports your child’s academic success by promoting health in the school setting.  One way that we provide care for your child is by performing the health screenings as mandated by New York State.  During the school year, the following screenings will be required or completed at school:


    ·         Distance and near vision acuity for new students and students in Pre-K or K, 1, 3, 5, 7 and 11.

    ·         Color perception for all new students.


    ·         Hearing screening for all new students and students in Pre-K or K, 1, 3 5. 7 and 11.


    ·         Scoliosis (spinal curvature) screening for girls in grades 5 & 7, and for boys in grade 9.

    A letter will be sent home if there are any findings on the screening done at school that would cause concern or need medical follow-up.


    Dental Certificates

    A NYS law expands health screenings to include the dental health of students in Pre-K or K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 & 11.  Please click below for the printable dental certificate and take this certificate to your child’s dentist.  Once it is completed, please return it to the school nurse and it will be filed in your child’s cumulative health record.  

    Dental Certificate


    When possible, parents should contact the school when their child is absent.  If your child becomes ill or injured at school the nurse will contact the appropriate person on the emergency card if needed.
    Please notify the school immediately of any changes or updates to your contact information.


    Please contact your child’s health office if you have any questions, concerns, or comments:

    C-A High School Abbie Breen 518-731-1805 518-731-1807
    C-A Middle School Tina Dombroski 518-731-1865 518-731-1859
    Coxsackie Elementary School Elisha Lackie 518-731-1775 518-731-1785
    EJ Arthur Elementary School Crysta Ryan 518-731-1755 518-731-1765