The Coxsackie-Athens community works collaboratively to create personalized learning opportunities. We develop self-directed college and career ready students who are prepared to succeed in our global society.
VISIONCoxsackie-Athens inspires learners to achieve extraordinary success.
2019 Performance GoalsSet 6/2016BY 2019:
93% of students will be completing high school.*
100% of students will be engaging in community service annually.
88% of students in grades K-8 will be reading at or above grade level.*
90% of Students will be meeting or exceeding grade level/building standards for thinking and learning for understanding and producing quality work.
Thinking and Learning for Understanding
Knows how and where to access, interpret and apply information.
Able to direct own learning.
Competence in evaluating & selecting technology to meet needs and apply to tasks.
Has strong work ethic.
Ability to assess own work and make improvements.
Ability to set high goals/standards and meet them.
* Though our current goals are not 100% we are and will be constantly striving to have ALL of our students reading at grade level and graduating.
The Board of Education identified the following four areas to focus additional attention to during the 2018-19 school year.
- Increase opportunities for students to develop positive decision making habits.
- Expand the quality and quantity of community connections.
Below is a graphic that shows our core values: empathy, gratitude and taking action surrounding our BOE goals. The next layer in represents our mission of developing self-directed learners. The five areas of the pentagon represent our anchor strategies for engaging, enabling and empowering our students and staff in order to inspire them to achieve extraordinary success.Each layer builds coherence(working in the same direction), around our vision of inspiring all learners from the district level to classroom level.
- Ensure students graduate with the life skills necessary to achieve extraordinary success.
We understand each child has a story and by getting to know each of our students our EMPATHY for their challenges and successes guides our support for them. We also have empathy for our colleagues, not only when they are facing challenges but also when they are out in front leading us.
Gratitude:We have GRATITUDE in knowing we have an enormous responsibility each day to help kids be successful and there is no better satisfaction than working in a school where kids come first.Take Positive Action:
We know that in order for us and our students to continually improve we must have hope and TAKE POSITIVE ACTION for ourselves and every kid, every day.
Board Goals:Our Board of Education has established goals that align with its core responsibilities of monitoring and communicating student academic progress and providing the resources necessary for student success after receiving community input.
2016 Board of Education Goals & Commitments
1. The BOE monitors the progress towards achieving the district's three-year goals and buildings’ annual targets indicated by quarterly public discussion of the data provided by district staff.
2. The BOE develops a budget that optimizes resources to support the mission, vision and goals of the district and will promote that budget to the broader community to assure passage.
3. The BOE engages collaboratively and respectfully with our families and all partners indicated by the sustained family involvement and community support of district goals and budgets
4. The BOE promotes effective governance by educating prospective members and committing to ongoing capacity building for each member.5. The BOE fosters respect and pride by promoting expanded opportunities to formally and informally recognize members of the school community.
Mission:Our mission's cornerstone is to develop self-directed learners. Below is a graphic showing the attributes associated with being self-directed.
The five anchor strategies of "The Pentagon" is how we will succeed. All our work, decisions and resource allocation directly supports these five principles. Below is a short description of each strategy.
Vision:We believe in order to inspire we must engage, enable and empower both students and teachers. In regards to students there are nine questions we can ask to monitor our lessons ability to engage, enable and empower.
Does the instruction allow students to focus on the assignment or activity with less distraction?
Does the instruction motivate students to start the learning process?
Does the instruction cause a shift in the behavior of the students, where they move from passive to active social learners?
Does the instruction aid students in developing a more sophisticated understanding of the content?
Does the instruction create scaffolds to make it easier to understand concepts or ideas?
Does the instruction create paths for students to demonstrate their understanding of the learning goals in a way that they could not do with traditional tools?
Does the instruction create opportunities for students to learn outside of their typical school day?
Does the instruction create a bridge between school learning and everyday life experiences?
Does the instruction allow students to build skills, that they can use in their everyday lives?